I stumbled upon this recipe when we were living in Chicago. But I cannot remember where exactly it came from!
Beef Stew
2 lbs. stew beef
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. paprika
4 lg. carrots
3 lg. potatoes(I usually used 4 or 5)
1 cup beef broth
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 large onion
1- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup bbq sauce
Peel and chop potatoes and carrots. Brown stew meat. Layer potatoes, then carrots , then meat in crockpot. Sprinkle with soy sauce, salt, paprika, pepper and flour. Spread chopped onion over the top. Combine beef broth and tomato sauce. Pour over top of all. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cooking add bbq sauce.
If I used reduced sodium broth, soy sauce and tomato sauce then I use the salt, if I don't use the reduced versions then I don't add the salt. I have kidney issues and Paul is on blood pressure meds, so I try to watch the sodium. You can also add any other vegetables that sound good. I'm actually going to add a bag of frozen peas to mine today towards the end of cooking, if I add them too early they will get mushy.
Be blessed!
3 comments:
Thanks Becki! I'm making it today!
Becki - I had to stop eating this beef stew to tell you how great it is! It is now on my recipe list for fall and winter meals. YUM!
Isn't it yummy? It's one of our most favorite cold weather meals!
Post a Comment